Friday, December 05, 2008


O.J. REVISITED
The earth stood still again today ... as the world glued their eyes to their TV sets to hear the sentencing of O.J. Simpson. I still remember running to a nearby TV on the UCLA campus more than a decade ago to listen to the "not guilty" verdict. And today, all of our patients stood in front of our waiting room television to hear that O.J. had been sentenced to at least 9 years in jail for his part in the robbery and kidnapping in Vegas last year.

Many felt like the sentencing would be retribution for the not guilty verdict in his infamous murder trial. Even Ron Goldman's parents were in the courtroom for the sentencing and gave a rather vengeful response to his sentence.

In fact, I started thinking a lot about O.J. this week and that murder trial since I drove by the murder site on Bundy on my way to my hip surgeon's office this week. Personally, even though I believe he was guilty of the murders, I agree with this judge in saying that this sentence should have nothing to do with that one. Likewise, I don't believe the Goldman family should have been present during today's sentencing.

Don't get me wrong, in no way am I condoning or supporting O.J. Simpson. He's obviously made many huge errors in judgement. But still, if we are to believe in our judicial system, then we ought to ensure that no sentence is based on retribution for previous crimes or previous trials.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]