Sunday, November 30, 2008


HMMM ... BRADLEY ...

A few years ago, I had a patient come in with Dodgers gear all over her wheelchair. She told me she used to go to almost every single home game for years and sit in the first few rows. I wondered aloud how big a Dodgers fan she must be to get season tickets year after year to sit so close.

She explained that she's been very fortunate in life -- having been given a kimono and samurai suit that both hang in her home as a gift from the Prime Minister of Japan, visited with countless Presidents and heads of state, etc.

I was amazed at all she had seen and done in her lifetime and again wondered aloud how that was possible. She said that being married to L.A's highest public servant for countless years afforded her great opportunities that she cherished.

I quickly took a look at her name -- Ethel Bradley.

I'm usually pretty quick with these things, but somehow, I couldn't peace it together -- Bradley, wife of LA's highest public servant, meeting Presidents and heads of state. Bradley, hmmm, Bradley.

It wasn't until she said, "Well, my husband's been gone several years now have his stroke but I still miss him."

That's when it finally hit me. She was the wife of LA Mayor Tom Bradley.


Ethel Bradley passed this past week and seeing her obituary in the paper made me recall this story. She truly was an amazing lady and made the most of her opportunities to better the lives of those she met -- whether they were homeless or world political figures.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]