Wednesday, October 15, 2008

THANK YOU
One lesson you are always taught as a kid and also many times as a Christian is to say thank you. People rarely show gratitude in today's society so a simple thank you seems to mean that much more when it is said.

However, I was talking to a co-worker who said email inboxes are getting cluttered with what he called "useless" emails. Now, I'm not talking about your Gmail accounts that probably hold every email you've ever received in your entire life. I'm talking about our workplace email inboxes, which are obviously much smaller in storage capacity.

As a result, he said, they've taught everyone to not respond to an email saying "Got the attachment" or "Thank you." I've come to realize that in order to stay in everyone's good graces and to stay on the right side of office politics, I often send a follow up email conveying my gratitude.

But since this conversation, I've tried to stop. It feels weird and I feel wrong to not send a "thank you" email back. Maybe I should just stick to my instincts and send one anyway.
Comments:
I think "thank you" emails are good. People can always delete it afterwards, but conveying gratitude and showing that the email was received should not be overshadowed by technological limitations. However, if this person is someone you see regularly at work, you can probably skip the email and just tell him/her in person that you got it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]