Thursday, October 09, 2008

SUCKED THE LIFE OUT OF ME

One of the down sides to my job is having to deal with patients when they complain and become irate. I still can't say I'm good at it, but I've learned a few tricks over the years to help calm people down. So, usually, I'm able to have at least a little success with them.

But yesterday, I dealt with a hearing-impaired patient over the phone (via a translator) that left me feeling like I had the life sucked out of me. I didn't do anything wrong and only called for clarification about how he schedule 2 appointments, and he completely blew up on me and said he would "come looking for me with a hammer to knock the incompetance out of me" when he comes for his appointment next week.

Since I knew I didn't deserve to be talked to like that, I tried to brush it off after the conversation was over. But somehow, I couldn't shake it off. It bothered me all day. In fact, it's now been a day later and it's still on the forefront of my mind.

I guess in addition to learning how to deal with irate patients, I also need to learn how to let it go once the conversation is over.
Comments:
What would you do if you had to deal with irate people on a daily basis?
 
How could anyone get upset with you! You always seem so jovial and an all around nice guy, Victor. :D Also, couldn't that be considered a threat and he could get into some trouble with that?

Tammy C.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]