Saturday, October 18, 2008

CHURCH AND POLITICS

I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I'm really wary about churches supporting or opposing propositions. On the one hand, I totally agree and support churches that take a stand for Christian values, especially for such polarizing issues like gay marriage in Prop. 8. However, on the other hand, maybe I'm too into political correctness and tend to err on the side of caution, but I'm worried about churches or Christian leaders that get too politically involved.

I think the reason why this is such an issue for me is I've seen so many people in this world get completely turned off to Christianity because people have become too political. They make it seem like Christians not just hate the sin, but also the sinner. And I feel like there just ends up being a backlash for them in the other direction. I don't want to do actions that will directly cause someone to harden their heart further and to run further away from God. But at the same time, I don't want to water-down my faith or my beliefs or values. It's a real fine line, this "living in the world, but not of it."

I know many Christians will disagree and may think I'm not standing up for my beliefs, but the way I approach things is to express my opinion, but not be so actively vocal about it. I'm not necessarily against those people that do, but that's just not my thing.

To be honest, I really wish I didn't feel this way. I wish I was more vocal. I wish I was more outspoken and more of an advocate for my beliefs and values. But I feel like I get this done by other means.
Comments:
Victor, I agree. I don't think churches should tell people how to vote. It's not that I think that Christians shouldn't be vocal about issues but don't use the church as a platform for it. There are also other ways to speak out about issues. I also don't think it's appropriate for people to hand out stickers promoting candidates in church! (uh, yeah someone did hand us one.) :P As far as the gay marriage thing goes I'm not so sure legislation is the best way to deal with that issue. At any rate I'll be voting Yes on Prop 8 ... despite my thoughts on that.
 
tammy, i think that person who handed you a campaign sticker was giving it to you as a friend and not a person representing the church....it just so happened that the friend saw you at church and gave it to you then. he could have easily walked acrossed the street and left one at your door....fyi...hahahaha
 
I agree completely with Victor and Tammy. Christians may have their views on certain political issues, and they may express their views to others both in and out of (or across the street from) church, but to use the pulpit as a platform for political activism is overstepping.

I also don't think it's appropriate for churchgoers to specifically call out people. I felt pressured into signing the last petition on gay marriage because I was personally flagged down on my way into service...

If you're going to man a table, then stand there and answer questions when approached. If you're on your way to a march/rally, then give an open invitation to a general group of people. There's no need to say, "[Judy], come sign this." or "[Judy], are you going to the rally?"

And don't even get me started on civil rights issues (an example, perhaps, of recognizing an inappropriate forum)...

Thanks for a thoughtful and important post!
 
I understand that political views should probably not be shared on the pulpit and in general political correctness should be upheld. However, I also believe that Proposition 8 is a different issue. As Christians, we are held to a different standard: God's standard. Consider the church's stand on Proposition 8 as an application on Leviticus 18. By asking us to vote yes, we can apply what we have learned. We are not defaming homosexuals nor showing them any "lack of equality" or love. We detest the sin, but we must love the sinner.

As a Christian, we have morals set by the Bible. The secular world does not follow these rules. In church, we should be able to reaffirm our beliefs especially on an issue like Proposition 8. If people don't hear the church's stand on this issue, they can easily be swayed otherwise by listening to television ads or in their classrooms at school.

I don't think schools should be a platform for teaching children (K-6) about homosexual behavior. The fact of the matter is that it has/will happen. Case in point, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/11/MNFG13F1VG.DTL

Proposition 8 is not merely a homosexual issue. Its an issue of democracy as well. In 2006, voters voted against same-sex marriages in California. Four judges overturned that decision in May 2008. Where's the democracy?

Please pray for our nation and the upcoming elections. Pray for what God wants and not what we want. The truth must prevail!

--Enoch
 
Amen, amen. May our standards be God's standards, that which is holy and pleasing to Him.
 
Interesting topic. Perhaps we have been too molded by our post-modern society into believing that compartmentalization (even of our faiths) is a virtue.

While we ought to be careful about not hurting the Christian reputation, we should not be afraid to speak God's truth, regardless of the platform. Faith should not be merely in our private spheres, but also in our public spheres.

We do not need to defend God. But we should be speaking up for the faith we have in Him.

Why are we fearful or put off by it? It is always uncomfortable to be solicited by others when we don't expect/want it, but I commend those who are strong enough to do.

If Prop 8 is not passed, I fear that California will be just like Canada when it allowed a few judges to make a moral decision for the nation. Are you okay with that??? I'm not.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]