Wednesday, September 03, 2008





RESOURCEFUL

Not being able to put weight on your leg and having to use crutches to get around really makes it difficult to hold or carry things. Granted, I could just have someone else do it, but that just leads to me feeling incompetent and losing face or dignity.

I'd much rather see if I can do things for myself first. And if I really can't do it, then ask for help.

This has led me to walk around the house with a backpack, where I always have the home phone, cell phone, wallet, calendar, a walking stick, and any other things I might need to bring from room to room. You can see a pretty bad picture I took of myself trying to get around with the bag.

The walking stick, which came from my parents when they were travelling in China, is my favorite device. I actually don't use it for walking, but instead use it to reach and grab things by hooking things with the rounded edge and use the blunt end to push things like the light switch or buttons. The beauty of this walking stick is that it can collapse to be as short as 1.5 feet and as long as about 4 feet. It's awesome! Obviously, my crutches are also used at times for the same purpose.

So, each day, I manage to do more and more for myself by being resourceful. And it makes me feel great!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]