Wednesday, June 11, 2008






SORTING OUT THE NBA MESS

This was supposed to be the dream NBA Finals match-up that would save the league. It's no secret that pro basketball has been in a decline since Michael Jordan retired. But the return of the rivalry between two of the NBA's most storied franchises - the Lakers and the Celtics - was supposed to return the NBA to its full glory.


But instead, the Lakers have come out flat. Even though the Celtics lead has been trimmed to 2 games to 1, heading into Thursday's matchup, I just don't think the Lakers can do it. So far, they haven't shown me anything that proves they can beat the Celtics collapse defense and they also haven't shown the Lakers can defend against the more physical Celtics. Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE the Lakers to prove me wrong. But so far, it took the absolute worst game the Celtics could play in Game 3 for the Lakers to win, and they still barely did that. Sorry, Kobe, I think it's KG's year. And good for Garnett 'cause he deserves a ring.


Speaking of who deserves a ring, the word is out that busted former referree Tim Donaghy has said the NBA encourages referees to cal the games so that certain teams win. This in turn improves the NBA's revenue and popularity. One of the most meaningful games in question is Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and the Kings. This is the hard-fought series the Lakers eventually came back to win.

I tend to believe Tim Donaghy, knowing that plays and teams like Michael Jordan, and the Bulls and Kobe Bryant and the Lakers were beneficiaries. Still, I think pretty lowly of Donaghy, and it pains me to think that the NBA is fixed. But in the end, it'll probably be better for the sport and the league as a whole. This is exactly the same way I feel about Jose Canseco, who openly talked about steroids and helped bring about stiffer testing and penalties in baseball. I can't stand the guy, but in the end, what he did helped to better the game.

Having said all that, even though I still think the Celtics will win in 6 or 7 games, I say:
Go Lakers!!!

Comments:
it's good to see that you had abandoned ship early in the series. i'm sure this won't be the first jib at people telling you that you bandwagoned.

BEAT LA!!!
 
i'm sorry, but by the second paragraph of this post, my initial thought was:

NOW THAT VICTOR'S OFF THE BANDWAGON, WE STAND A CHANCE! GO LAKERS!!!

p.s. dc is saturated with lakers-haters.
 
i was about to say the same thing! although i have a feeling vic jumped back on the bandwagon midway through the 3rd quarter...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]