Saturday, June 07, 2008


BIRTHDAYS

In recent weeks, there have been a slew of birthdays from friends to family. That got me thinking about celebrating birthdays.

When I was a kid, this was no doubt one of the highlights of my life. Every year, I looked toward my birthday was great anticipation. And I loved that it almost coincided with the end of school and the beginning of summer. I actually remember and enjoyed all the birthday parties I've ever had -- from the ones my parents threw, to the ones I started throwing for myself once I became a teenager, to some of the surprise parties others planned for me, to the big Hawaiian luau bash we had for my 30th.

And although I still think fondly upon the day and hope I have a good day, it's come to be less important to me in the last few years. I think it'll probably take more of a back seat in my life now until I'm a little older. That's probably when I'll start celebrating again, at least the big ones -- turning 50, for example. My uncles recently had large birthday dinners after turning 60 and 70. I thought that was great and I was glad the celebrations brought out family and friends.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVED all the phone calls, text messages (although it does cost us for each one), emails, Facebook posts, cards, etc. Actually, I was extremely flattered and humbled that so many of you would take the time to wish me a Happy Birthday. It was definitely the highlight of this year!

But this is why there is no party or dinner. I'm just blessed to have good friends. And to me, at this point in my life, knowing and feeling that is better than any dinner or party I could have. So, thank you!

Comments:
vic, you such a softy!! haha happy birthday again!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]