Wednesday, April 16, 2008



WATERING THE LAWN

While growing up, my mom made sure we had "daily duties" during the summer. Those duties obviously included some school-type work to keep our minds from turning to mush. But they also included things like watering the lawn and plants.

It was during those summers that I learned to appreciate watering the lawn with a garden hose. My mind often wandered in amazement at how photosynthesis works and how water's cohesive properties helped carry it up the plant. Then, on a much less scientific level, I also thought how cool a stream of water looks when you put your finger over the hole to make it shoot out farther or to turn it into a spray.

Who ever needed one of those nozzles when you had your finger? I often tried to see just how far I could shoot the water. In fact, I once tried to water the entire backyard just by standing in one spot and pivoting around (it didn't work, but it was fun).

This past week, we discovered our sprinklers for the lawn were not working. So, that meant I had to stand outside to water. And even though I got wet and a little muddy, I have to admit that it was very peaceful standing out there in the quiet of morning. And it definitely brought back a lot of good memories of lazy summer days gone by. So, just for fun, I took off the nozzle that covers our garden hose nowadays and put my finger over the opening . . . just to see how far I could shoot the steam of water.


Comments:
i can't believe it. that was the chore i hated the most. i still do. wish you lived just a little closer :D so you you could water our lawn!

however, the big plus about watering in LA-- no mosquitos. stand outside in NC or TX for more than 1 minute and you'd better be doing a dance or have repellant on else those bugs will eat you at breakfast, lunch and dinner time!
 
Victor, you're amusing.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]