Saturday, April 19, 2008



GOOGLE STREET VIEW

I have always been a big fan of Google. When I was a kid, I was always fascinated with this mysterious number with 100 zeros named Google.

And then, 20 years later, an internet company that quickly became more than a search engine was born and I loved it. (By the way, I found it funny when my sister told me that people who work there don't like to hear people say, "You can always Google it." They feel they are so much more than just a search engine and want the world to think of themselves as such.)

Google has been good for our family. It has shown how internet companies can still flourish after the dot com bubble burst several years ago.

But I hear they've been taking a lot of heat for their Google Street View -- the application on their Maps site where you can literally see what buildings and homes look like in a 360 degree rotation. Of course, people are complaining about their invasion of privacy.

Personally, I don't think it's such a big deal. But then again, that may be because Google's Street View does not extend to my house. Still, I just spent the last hour or so looking up homes of my friends and most are there. I guess that is kind of bad.


Comments:
BTW, the number is spelled "Googol," not to be confused with the wonderful company "Google" :)
 
haha... i was about to write the same thing sandra did.
 
am i the only english major who's not going to pick on you?
i love that application too since it now gives us a chance to look at all the houses we used to live in. wahhh... i miss them all!
 
it's not a big deal anymore, since they limited the zoom lvl...initially you can read ppl's license plates :0) you should check out CEFC and you can see Alew's truck :D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]