Thursday, April 03, 2008


40 YEARS LATER

Tonight, some 40 years ago, these words were spoken in Memphis, Tennessee:

"I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountain top. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life; longevity has its place.
But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight we as a people will get to the Promised Land. And I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Those powerful statements were made by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It has always amazed me at just how prophetic those words would become. The very next day, he was assassinated outside his hotel room.

Meanwhile, while driving home today, I saw these two guys fighting each other and beating each other on the street (I drive through some rough parts of downtown).

Yes, we have come a long way in these last 40 years, thanks to men like Dr. King. And yet, as I looked at these two beat each other senselessly to a pulp, I realized, we still have so much further to go.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]