Saturday, March 01, 2008






GYMNASTICS

Few people know that when I was a kid, my sister and I participated in the gymnastics team at La Merced Elementary. We had practices at 7am before school and we learned everything from cartwheels to backhand springs to roundoffs to simple tumbles and rolls.

It's amazing for me to think I ever did that stuff, especially since I'm so inflexible now. But I guess it went hand in hand with the break dancing I was also doing. Granted, I wasn't espeicially good at either gymnastics or breakin', but I really enjoyed both.

The other day, I suddenly got the urge to see if I could still do a cartwheel, a handstand, and that arching your back pose while on your hands and feet (I forget what this is called, but I know that do this in yoga too). As it turns out, I can still barely do most of these things. (And, as you may have seen in weddings more recently, my "worm" isn't so strong either).

But who knows, with a little more practice and some more stretching, I could get back to doing some of those things again.

Although, there will be no public showings of the gymnastics. But, if the stretching does help me get the "worm" to look better again, you just might see it come out of retirement for the various weddings coming up in the next few months!

Comments:
uh-oh. should we all be scared? =)
 
It's called a back bend.
 
or a "back bridge" or just "bridge"

take it from another former gymnast :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]