Monday, December 10, 2007







WHICH FREEWAY IS THIS?

Some of you may recall that I recently wrote about watching some old TV shows that I enjoyed as a kid, including the show "CHiPs." Others may also remember that from time to time, Karena and I make bets with each other to see who is right about something trivial (see "Which Chan brother looks more like LL Cool J?")

While watching the CHiPs' intro, I asked the question that I've been wondering for 25 years: What freeway are Ponch and John riding on? I looked it up online and discovered that they primarily used the 2 freeway and the 118 freeway during construction and off hours to film all their crash scenes on freeways. So, I figured it had to be one of those freeways.

However, in pausing and watching the end of the intro in slow motion (see photos), Karena is convinced that she sees the Bonaventure (and its distinctive round glass shape) and several downtown LA skyscrapers in the background. She figures it had to be the 110 freeway. But, I argue that, even back in 1980, there is still WAY TOO MUCH grassland nearby for that to be Downtown LA. No chance.

Can anybody help me out? I think I'm going to win this bet! =)

Comments:
Sorry, I think Karena's right on this one. Check out the satellite view here.

In the satellite view you can match up the two towers behind the Bonaventure as well as the square tower in front at a 45° angle.
 
you guys are so funny! =)
 
Let me settle this once and for all. It's the 60 fwy, not too far from where I reside. If you look carefully you can see the Montebello Towne Center. Oh wait, it didn't exist back then? Well, you're both wrong anyways.
 
isn't that dallas? haha
 
Word with my fellow Cal alumni up there. City National Tower and Paul Hastings' Buildings next to the Bonaventure are almost dead giveaways, despite the seemingly extra grass around that area. It IS sorta unusual, I'll admit that. But then again, I wasn't born yet. =)
 
Sorry Vic,

side by side comparison of your image & Google Earth

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chipsou7.jpg
 
pic comparison here
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]