Tuesday, December 18, 2007


MITT ROMNEY AND MORMONISM

One interesting twist to this year's presidential hopefuls is Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts and hard-core Mormon.

Because of the presence of Mike Huckabee, a Baptist minister who took a shot at Romney when he declared himself the "Christian candidate", the candidates' faith have become a major issue in this year's debates. Although many people, including me, consider Mormonism to be a cult, many evangelicals still consider voting for Romney.

I, personally, am not opposed to voting for him either because many of my values are similar to his. However, my main question is whether the doctrines handed down by the current "prophet" in Utah will affect Mitt Romney's decisions on matters of presidential importance and national security? After all, if I vote for Romney, it's to have him as president, not the governing body of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

I've always been curious about the Mormon faith after my freshman year of college, when I had a Mormon roommate who left for his 2 year mission and later transferred to BYU. Although theologically, we were very different, I really respected and admired his convictions, his passion, his knowledge of the Bible and Book of Mormon, and his "clean" living. Plus, he was truly excited and felt privileged to give up two years of his life to learn Portuguese and evangelize in Brazil. Would I or other evangelical Christians have that same mind-set and desire?

In any case, there is a lot of good that Mormons do and much we can learn from them. But at the same time, the theology is too different to consider them Christians, in my opinion.
Still, I think you have to ask yourself if aside from all that, you can cast your vote for a Mormon and see him as President.

I think you can.

Comments:
i agree. otherwise, following that line of reasoning would lead to strange results, like non-christians refusing to vote for christian candidates, in fear that their president is really just following orders from a higher governing body, that being the church and the guy upstairs...whose policies and standards they may not necessarily agree with...
 
at this point, i dont care who wins the republican nomination as long as he can beat that she-devil!
 
are you endorsing romney?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]