Tuesday, November 13, 2007


HIP DYSPLASIA
Well, it is official: I am damaged goods.
If you have never noticed, I walk funny. The reason I end up limping is because my left hip hurts with pretty much every step (I think I blogged about this before).
I originally thought it was because of my back (which has problems too). But after seeing the doctor and getting X-rays last week, the diagnosis was confirmed by the orthopedic doctor today. I have what they call Left Hip Dysplasia.
As you can see by the photo, it means that the socket of my left hip didn't really form into the nice round curve that a normal hip should have. So, that means that my hip tends to cause pain by affecting the cartilage at the joint and the muscles that surround the hip. Over time, this means, I'll probably have arthritis there and need a hip replacement.
So, I guess my jogging days are over (I've been trying to jog at the gym recently despite the pain). I'll just keep trying to stretch and strengthen all the muscles around the hip to keep myself from getting more arthritis.
Buns of steel . . . here I come!

Comments:
sorry, man.
 
thanks for commenting on my blog about the boys. funny you should write about growing old... that'll be my next blog. i just went to see my doctor for a physical. ugh.

your hip thing sounds so painful! how is it that you're even able to play bball and stuff?

we be getting old! oh dear!
 
But you know you got to admit it must have felt good that Dr. Lee picked you to protect him if he were in a dark alley! :D
 
i agree with dr. lee. i would have picked you too because if the bad guy was chasing us with a knife, i know i can run much faster than you! see ya! haha
 
you know for the longest time i didn't know that people could have hip dysplasia. i only knew of large-breed dogs...most commonly german shepherds. i wonder if you've had it since birth. our pediatrician is always checking c's hips saying that hip dysplasia is common in newborns and often goes undiagnosed.
 
Re: Joyce's comment
Oh, so THAT'S what the Doc was doing to ethan..checking his hips...she didn't explain what she was doing..
 
can you explain how you stretch your hip muscles? I want to try doing that myself even though I don't have hip dysplasia...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]