Thursday, July 19, 2007

I'M SORRY
It wasn't that long ago that I was helping to lead Koinonia as a young adult at church. And I remember having many people in the church turn to our group for help for different ministries. Before long, I felt like our young adult group had been spread too thin trying to patch holes and fill different ministry opportunities.
I remember feeling really terrible about feeling that way, but I was getting sick and tired of everyone turning only to us. Where were the older adults? Why couldn't they help? Why only rely on one age group to meet the needs of practically the entire church? Besides, I believed it wasn't right to ask available people to fill holes just for the sake of filling holes. They should be called to these ministries. Maybe I didn't really believe that. I don't know. Perhaps I was just using that as an excuse. Anyway, I felt like I was looking out for the sake of the church and the sake of the other Koinonia members by feeling this way.
But now that I'm a little older, I've come to realize that it's tough for older young adults. Getting married meant doubling my family and friend responsibilities and get-togethers. It meant making sure I spend some quality time with my wife. It meant also that I would need to find some time for solitude too. And I can only image that things get exponentially tougher once you have kids.
I've also realized that once you take those wedding vows, it's also my ministry to make sure my marriage remains strong, healthy, and vibrant. And although that doesn't mean you should not serve at church, it does mean you have more responsiblities and a new area of ministry.
So, sorry, to all of you older young adults who I was angry at. I was wrong. But now, I've learned and understand much better.
Comments:
V-train, our small group was da bomb! Thanks for being such an excellent leader! Keep up the hard work for the Lord!
 
Older young adults doesn't necessarily equal married young adults...

Anyway, I guess Paul knew what he was talking about when he spoke about the freedom to serve fully when we're single as opposed to when we're married. Yay for singleness (if you can handle it)!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]