Monday, June 11, 2007


WHY?
During our Sunday service yesterday, we noticed that one of our church's welcome cards was filled out and left in the pews. We thought we should drop it off with one of the ushers after service. But I happened to glance at some of the comments written and discovered something really wrong.
I went ahead and scanned it. Please note, it's offensive.
As I read this, my heart hurt. What would cause someone to feel this way? Why so much hatred?
I started to examine my own life, the life of my friends, and the life of fellow church members. What did this church stand for when it came to gay marriage and homosexuality? Was it loving the sinner, but hating the sin?

I don't have any real answers, but this welcome card really made me think about how the Church as a whole is walking the fine line between standing firm on its beliefs and showing love and compassion to all people.

It's challenging for all of us. I pray for this person. I pray that she find God's peace and love and understanding. I pray that He soften her heart. I pray that someone in her life helps to explain the Church's stance and give her a chance to express her opinions and feelings.

Comments:
make me mad to hear such hateful things that are directed at people that i know personally that have a good heart and wouldn't harm a soul. that person is delusional and confused.
 
this is pretty intense. do you plan to bring it up to the leaders? maybe they should be aware and praying more for the youth.
 
Seems like a juvenile prank to me. Did anyone actually see a 60-year-old visitor that Sunday sitting in that area?
 
Thanks everyone for all your input. I forwarded the connection card to Richard and Pastor Rich. Let's be sure to keep this person in prayer.
 
the writing doesn't look like that on a 60yr old. looks like a young female.
 
also, majority of the youth was in agape.
 
I felt no anger as I read the card. Instead, my heart aches for this young person. Whether it's a prank or statements of her actual feelings, she sounds like a lost individual. It really reminds me that we, as followers of Christ, need to be more intentional about reflecting God's love to people. It's good to be right, but in speaking the truth, I need to remember that love comes first. And, Vic, thanks for reminding me about prayer. Prayer is powerful.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]