Saturday, June 23, 2007

SLEEPING 3 HOURS A NIGHT

When you're a freshman in college, sleep is sometimes the furthest thing from your mind. There are books to be read, notes to be studied, TV shows to watch, stupid things to be done with your roommates, good food to be eaten, etc. But one thing I started to realize back then is I felt much more rested after only sleeping 3-4 hours a night, as opposed to a more normal 7 hours. I also noticed I had better memory recall for exams when only sleeping this much, but taking a nap during the afternoon.

And more recently, Karena has begun noticing the same thing. On a few occasions, she was up late, but felt great the next day after only sleeping 3 hours. In fact, she felt better than I did sleeping 6.5! I was falling asleep during my staff meeting at work, while she worked nearly 13 hours without skipping a beat.

I've been investigating why this could be and found a guy's interesting website about this topic. It's a little length, but basically, he says that we have 90 min sleep cycles. When we finish a cycle, we feel more rested. So, sleeping 1.5, 3.0, 4.5, 6.0, etc hours is much better than sleeping any other amount. And taking a nap of the same interval (probably 90 min) is also beneficial in restoring hyper awareness for creative intelligence. This guys gets by sleeping 3 hours at night and taking a 1.5 hour nap during the day.

That's something I might consider. Do you know how much I'd get done if I only slept 4.5 hours during the course of a day?
Comments:
Yah... then you could blog so much more! Haha.
 
I will test this theory and get back to you...=)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]