Thursday, May 24, 2007






WHAT'S A GUY TO DO AT A SPA?

I appreciate you guys sitting through all these entries about Cancun. I'm sure you're sick of them. This will be my last Cancun entry. I promise!

One of the last things we did there was go to an even more beautiful beach near Cancun in Playa Del Carmen. Just check out the water behind me in that picture! It's clearer than most swimming pools!

We also got to spend a day at a spa there for free. The spa included a swimming pool, hammocks to lay on, a sauna, a steam room, jacuzzis of three different temperatures, relaxing music, etc. Also, if you wanted, they had a beauty room and a massage room.

The place was beautiful and we enjoyed hanging out there. But while Karena was getting a pedicure, I decided to partake of all the spa amenities. Now, as a guy, I've never been to a spa before and never had even the slightly desire to ever go to one. So, I had no idea what I was doing.

But there I was.
I couldn't figure out whether to get into the jacuzzi first or the steam room or the sauna. And if you go into one, do you not go into the other? I felt so lost and dumb. I thought about asking the worker there, but I didn't want to look clueless so I just jumped into the first room I saw, which happened to be the sauna.
It's frickin' hot in there! To make myself feel better about my insecurities about the spa, I thought I'd do the macho thing and try to see how long I could stay in there. After about 12 minutes, I couldn't stand it anymore so I left. The worker saw me come out and I got nervous again so I quickly jumped into the next room, which happened to be the steam room.
Upon entering, I realized that I couldn't see a thing. I thought about that "Friends" episode where Chandler couldn't see in the steam room and sat on his father-in-law's lap. I took an extra minute to look at the bench before sitting down to prevent that from happening. I was pretty sweaty already when another guy came in. Again, I felt lost, but didn't want to show it. I saw that there was a pull shower in the steam room, which I assumed was used to clean off after your done steaming. So, I took the initiative and used the shower before leaving. I think the other guy didn't know what he was doing either, but seemed impressed that I looked like I did.
Afterward, I decided to relax in the jacuzzi. Which one should I choose? I didn't want the hottest one since I had already sweated in both the sauna and the steam room. And I didn't want the coldest one since I figured that would be counter-productive. So, I did the Goldilocks thing and picked the one in the middle that was supposed to be "just right." It was still really hot and I couldn't stay in there longer than a few minutes.
While most trips to a spa are supposed to be relaxing, I found my experience quite stressful. Of course, it was probably all just in my head.

Comments:
I'm not bored with your vacation antics :) It's not like I'm going to Cancun any time soon. Heck, I've never been to Hawaii.
 
jules is right -- keep them coming!
 
Wow...looks you 2 really know how to have a relaxing time! That's great that you can travel so much...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]