Tuesday, April 17, 2007

SERMONS
Over the 21+ years that I've been a Christian and regular church attender, I've heard a lot of sermons. Some have been long, some short, some really motivating, others just motivating me toward the exits.
Growing up, I'd notice that we'd all hear the sermon and then not mention it ever again. Not in Sunday School. Not over lunch. Never. In fact, I don't even think I gave it a second thought after the pastor ended his closing prayer.
But more recently, I've noticed that we've all grown up and matured some by talking and reflecting on the sermon. Many of my friends take notes (even though they sometimes doodle, right Jason and Debbie?). And I find that we often talk about the sermon's main points over lunch after church.
Still, I guess we're not that mature, since we usually end up making fun of the sermon or complaining about how bad it was. But I'm glad that some people (especially Enoch) try to always put a positive spin on the sermon. Granted, not all of the sermons are good, but he always makes sure to take away at least one good thing from it.
That's admirable . . . and something I'm going to try to do.
I'm also going to try and do what Richard was speaking about this week: Loving those who are unlovable and trying to reconcile with them.
Neither one of these is going to be easy.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]