Monday, March 19, 2007


THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

While purposely being vague, I sometimes feel like Morgan Freeman's character "Red" from the Steven King book and subsequent movie, "The Shawshank Redemption."

Being in Shawshank prison for 40 years, Red occasionally gets to plead his case for early parole from his lifetime sentence. The only question they ask him is, "Do you feel like you've been rehabilitated?"

Each time, he is extremely pleasant and respectful toward the committee members in saying things like, "No danger to society here. I'm completely rehabilitated." And each time, he gets denied.

But the final time, he's angry, jaded, and not very respectful. He really just doesn't care anymore one way or another. Red says something like, "Rehabilitated? I don't have any idea what that means. To me, it's just a made-up word. A politician's word. So young fellas, like yourself, can wear a suit and have a job.
"Not a day goes by that I don't feel regret for what I did, not because I'm in here or because you think I should. I look back at the way I was: a young stupid kid. I would try to talk some sense into him. But I can't. That kid is long gone. And this old man is all that's left. I've gotta live with that.
"Rehabilitated? It's just a word. So, go on and stamp your form and stop wasting my mind. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a $%^#."

And just like that, he's approved and gets his long-awaited ticket out of the confines of the prison.

I often feel imprisoned and get an occasional opportunity to get out and get what I want. But when I try to say and do all the right things, I get rejected and denied. Maybe it's time for me to get angry, get jaded and not so respectful. Maybe I just shouldn't care one way or another.

What do you make of that?

Comments:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." - Galatians 6:9-10

Look up "doing good" on Bible Gateway too.
 
You have been watching 24, haven't you? =)
(Hint: the Warden & Sec. of Defense)

Ditto on doing good. Don't forget the rooftop scene in the movie.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]