Tuesday, February 06, 2007



WINNERS AND LOSERS


Not too long ago, Karena and I watched "Little Miss Sunshine." We didn't find the movie to be that funny, despite rave reviews from some of our friends. But one of the catch phrases from that movie has stuck with me. Greg Kinear's loser character does motivational speaking and keeps saying, "There are two kinds of people in this world, winners and losers."

My parents named me Victor because they obviously wanted me to be a winner. But I've often seen myself as the latter.

While growing up playing basketball, I never wanted the ball at the end of the game because the fear of me missing and costing my team the victory was just too overwhelming. And when the pressure is on and push comes to shove, I often times end up falling short.

Whenever I struggle with this thought, I end up thinking back to former Laker Robert Horry and his game-winning shot against the Sacramento Kings. He later said that he is happy to take the game-winning shots because if he makes it, he's the hero and if he misses, he'll shake it off and try again the next day.

Today, I felt like a loser. What can I say, the pressure was on and I messed up. But I just have to shake it off and try again tomorrow.
After all, that's what Victors do.

Comments:
I didn't see Little Miss Sunshine until I got the DVD. I actually ended up liking the movie despite the annoying father and grandfather in the first half of the movie.
 
Did you know the movie was filmed in Ventura? I haven't seen it, but my parents say I would recognize the locations if I did.
 
Hang in there bud.
 
Stupid movie. Stupid line. Everyone knows you are the Victor.
 
I second Jay's encouragement! Don't give up. =)

"Those who endure, conquer."
 
Though the father said there are either winners or losers, but son character who dislikes everyone realized that everything in life seems to be a beauty contest. You're either a winner or loser...from highschool, college and to work. But then he said "F*** that...and f*** the Air Force Academy." Even Jesus' disciples argued about who's the greatest among them while he wasn't present. But Jesus loved the losers because they weren't on their high horse like the pharisees who probably considered themselves winners. Anyways, I do that about work too. I don't think I've been that way until I started working at my current job, where I cared so much about achieving or maintaining excellence that when I mess up - I take failure harder than usual.
 
"We're all winners in God's eyes." - Victor Shen

Julie hit it on the mark and I'm with her about Jesus loving the losers. It's much better to be loved than to think that we can go it alone.

Your a winner in my book for caring for your folks and for Karena the way that you do. Keep doing good!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]