Saturday, February 24, 2007

OLD STUFF FROM EXES
So, this is an honest, legitimate question: What do you do with old things given to you by ex-boy/girlfriends?
Did you return them?
I've had countless friends tell me that this doesn't work. Getting all the stuff you've ever given someone after the relationship is over is almost always the most traumatizing event of people's lives. It hurts more than anything. It was as if their ex was saying that they wanted every part of you out of their life. And that's gotta sting. So, that's why I never returned any stuff from my ex-girlfriends.
Did you keep it?
And if so . . .
Did you hide it? Did you store it away? Or did you/are you still using it?
Being the pack-rat that I am, I kept most of the stuff. But I don't use any of it. I think unless it's THAT practical, it'll end up being disrespectful to Karena. So, I ended up storing most of it in my room at my parent's house inside drawers or deep within my closet, etc. And even though I love nostalgia, I never really pulled it out to look at again, but somehow it was always nice to know it was there.
But whenever I did stumble upon that stuff again, it didn't make me reminisce at all. Instead, it just reminded me how these things and that time in my life have shaped me into the person I am today. And that was enough for me to put the stuff away again.

Recently, I found myself changing my views and being okay finally throwing all that stuff out without any hesitation. Letters and cards that once held so much meaning and sentimental value to me now could be let go.
I began to realize that I'm comfortable with myself and where I am in life. And I'm comfortable in my marriage, too, to know that those old things from ex-girlfriends just don't pertain to me anymore. I still care for the people a great deal, but the things themselves just didn't matter.
These items don't need to be saved anymore. They've served their purpose of helping me see with a little more clarity where I've been, where I am now, and where I'm going.
But I'm done with them.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]