Wednesday, February 21, 2007


INSPIRATION AND ENCOURAGEMENT
This past Sunday, an amazing thing happened: I felt the presence of God at church. I mean, I usually do feel His presence, especially in His house. But this past Sunday, I REALLY felt it. Let me explain:
Simon, my good friend for almost 25 years, was scheduled to speak. He came to church noticeably nervous, but still full of conviction. I tried my best to encourage him, but became more inspired when I could feel God working through him as he made sure the right songs were chosen and the right sharing question was going to be asked.
But once we got into the sanctuary, I became overcome with emotion when I saw so many people filing in, including many former CEFCers like Steven and Jenn. Luong showed up. Then, Gary and Regina walked in. Then, Ryan and Marsha followed. And Nikki and Ben. And George and Hannah. But the real kicker was seeing my non-Christian friend Lance take a seat up front. After that, my heart began to pound and I got nervous too. I closed my eyes and began to pray: "Lord, please use Simon, use Danette, use me, use anybody and everybody to reach out to this congregation today, especially Lance."
See, God had it all planned out. Having Simon speak opened the door to bringing many people out of their daily lives and into the Lord's house. And that stired up conversation that even brought non-Christians in. Having Simon speak helped give Enoch the opportunity to ask Lance, a guy who has been anti-church for so long, to join him in the pews.
And I believe that God worked in and through Simon to bring about His Glory. Seeds were planted. And doors were definitely swung wide open for something big.
And this is even more amazing, because even a few years ago, it would have seemed near impossible to have Simon standing at CEFC's pulpit delivering a message. He has been through a lot with his family, with various relationships, friendships, and his spiritual life. And to see him hold onto his faith firmly through thick and thin was inspiring and encouraging.
I am inspired and encouraged by Simon's preaching, which got the message across without sounding too preachy or too boring. I am inspired and encouraged by Enoch's boldness in asking friends to come to church. I am inspired and encouraged by Danette and the worship team for leading His people into a time of true praise and worship. I am inspired and encouraged by hearts being softened. But most of all, I am inspired and encouraged by what God has done and is doing in all of our lives. And praise God, I was able to see it all play out firsthand and from the front row.
One of the verses from Sunday's sermon is truly evident:
"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - Matthew 19:26
To the Glory of God the Father.

Comments:
Right on brother.
 
I'm inspired by your blog and haven't even heard the sermon! I'll be sure to check it out online.
 
what was the topic of the sermon?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]