Tuesday, February 27, 2007



GRUESOME INJURIES
As a sports fan, I've seen my share of gruesome injuries over the years. And when I hear that there is one to see, I usually go out of my way to watch it again over and over (including in slow motion), even though it's painfully disgusting.
As a physical therapist, I'm interested to see what happened, how they will repair it surgically and how they will rehab the injury. But as a human, it grosses me out to no end. I usually have to cover my eyes with my hand and open my fingers slightly just to see it again.
Last night, there was another gruesome injury that I watched about 5 times but can't bear to watch again. You can check out Clippers' guard Shaun Livingston's terrible knee injury here, if you'd like, but let me warn you, it is really gross. In fact, while pulling up this link, I couldn't bear watch it.
But I still think the most gruesome and most notorious on-the-court or on-the-field injury is Washington quarterback Joe Theismann getting his leg broken by Lawrence Taylor. This isn't the best quality footage, but you get the point.
In the past, you could check out footage on your local 11 o'clock news. But now, with ESPN's SportsCenter and ESPNews running 24/7 and with the internet, you can see it over and over. And that's both cool for me so I can see it, but also disgusting because that's just so wrong. In fact, I have to give LA's KCAL Channel 9 props for NOT showing the footage of Livingston's injury because it was too gruesome. But at the same time, I was looking forward to seeing it one more time so I was a little disappointed they didn't show it. You see how conflicted I am?
In any case, in sports, accidents happen. And now with YouTube, you can watch them over and over again . . . not that I'm going to be doing that.
I hope Shaun Livingston and all the other athletes injured have a quick recovery.

Comments:
Remember that horrific injury when Mo Vaughn fell in the dugout? Or when Chuck Finley tripped on the mound?
 
Wow... I totally remember the Joe Theismann injury. I wanted to vomit after seeing it!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]