Tuesday, December 05, 2006

HOLDING BABIES
I don't think there's anything more scary in all the world than holding some else's newborn baby. To my recollection, I think I've only held two babies in my entire life -- Mark and Gina's newborn son of 4 days named Gabriel a few years ago and last night when I held one of Ko and Charice's kids Maxwell. (For the record, I may have carried Jonathan and/or Kimmy back when they were born, but I was still too young to be freaked out about it like I am now.)
Holding someobody else's baby is so scary to me because I'm so afraid of dropping them or not supporting their head enough. I once was helping in the toddler's Sunday school at church and had a kid sitting in my lap. Suddenly, my legs got tired and the kid slid through my legs and landed on the floor. I was devasted, he couldn't stop crying, and I soon felt like crying too. Was he going to be dumb the rest of his life because of me?
These are some of the crazy thoughts that go through my head. But Ko and Charice had enough faith in me to let me hold one of their twins (Karena did a much better job holding Madeline, by the way). Slowly, my shoulders began to lower as I relaxed more and more. And before you knew it, it was a beautiful thing.
I can't wait to hold my new nephew Caleb in the same way in a few weeks.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]