Wednesday, December 20, 2006

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER
I've learned again to never judge a book by its cover.
While out at a restaurant, I went to the bathroom to . . . you know. But when I opened the door, I saw an elderly man digging in the trash, pulling out every single used paper towel one at a time and dropping it to the floor.
I immediately thought "This guy is a freak." I quickly tried to do my business without looking or interacting with him. But as I was washing my hands, he explained himself.
"Don't think I'm crazy or anything. I was here about 20 minutes earlier and flipped my hands dry over the trash can because they were out of paper towels. Then, I just now realized I lost my wedding ring. So, I'm now going through the entire trash can looking for it.
I felt badly for him and volunteered to help, but he kindly declined. A few minutes later, I saw him emerge from the bathroom with his wedding ring back on his left ring finger. He thanked me again for my concern and told me that he again ran out of paper towels and was considering flinging his hands dry again. But he thought better of it and just left with his hands wet.
Good move on his part. Afterward, I felt horrible thinking this man was a freak. If it were me, I would have been doing the same thing.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]