Monday, November 27, 2006

WEEK 1 OF ADVENT: HOPE

I didn't think I'd ever see the day when Karena would stand in front of the entire congregation and share. But that's exactly what happened on Sunday. We had the privilege of sharing for the first week of Advent on Hope.

Romans 5:2b-5:
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”


Here is what Karena shared:

"As many of you know, my dad has been quite sick over the past 16 months. It began when he started having difficulty controlling his legs while walking, then noticed weakness in his arms, and then progressed to where he was falling and barely able to walk.

Since then, he has gone to the ER 3 times, undergone neck fusion surgery, suffered from pneumonia and multiple other infections, almost died from an acute diabetic incident, and been in congestive heart failure. He ended up spending more than 7 months in various hospitals.

When I think back over all that he and our family has gone through, it’s hard to believe that we made it through. But God has been good to us. Though my mom isn’t a believer and my dad just became open to it while in the hospital, there is no way that we could’ve survived this time without God’s strength, His endurance, this church’s faithful and continued prayers, and the hope we have had in God. He got us through going to the hospital every day for 7½ months. He carried us through our fears, our worries, and especially our fatigue. He comforted us and my dad to the point that my dad prayed to Him for the 1st time after 50 years of not having maintained a relationship with Him.

My dad has been home from the hospital for 4 months now. But while we are so thankful and praise God for this, life is still as hard as ever. My dad now requires our constant help 24 hrs/day, and my family has had to make drastic dietary changes and also several modifications in the house.

But I thank God for His many provisions – of the physical nature: the medical care my dad has received at the hospital, and at home: a helper and special medical equipment. Of an emotional nature, God has provided my aunt who has been so comforting in providing medical explanations and good advice. And He has provided Victor who has lent amazing family support – never complaining even once all those nights at the hospital. And of the spiritual nature, my aunt’s, Victor’s, and this churches prayers and encouragement.

I continue to hope in the Lord that He will give us the strength, patience, endurance, and love that we need for each other each day. I pray that God will continue to strengthen and restore my dad, and give rest and assurance to my mom and my sister. And I have hope that God will continue to work in our family’s relationships with each other -- and that we with learn to trust in God for all things – for I know that 'hope does not disappoint us.'"
Comments:
An interesting sidenote to the day and really to what you and Karena shared. We had a first time visitor in our congregation on Sunday whose husband had actually passed away the week prior. I hope that your sharing on hope was an encouragement to her. Do be praying for her (I'll not release her name here).
 
Thank you both for sharing about the amazing things God has endured your family through. We have hope and faith that He will continue to do amazing things in your lives and continue to bring Karena's father closer to Him. PTL! It is awesome to see how God has worked in your marriage to trust in Him and support each other!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]