Monday, October 30, 2006

CALLING 911
One of the funniest childhood memories I have of my brother was once when our neighbor's house caught fire. All the neighborhood kids ran inside and told Raymond to make the emergency call.
My brother, an honest to goodness genius with more brains and common sense and a stronger memory than 99.9% of the population frantically asked, "What the number? What's the number?"
"9-1-1!!! What are you crazy?!?" we all shouted back at him! It was hilarious.
On Saturday afternoon, I had to call 911 again. I was stopped at the light at Wilshire and Westwood on my way to meet Garth. The light changed, but the car in front of me didn't go. Hmm . . . maybe the person's not paying attention. I honked. No response. Hmm . . . maybe her BMW is stalled? Yeah, right. What are the odds? So, I decide to go around her and discover, she is what appears to be knocked out. She's not moving and her head is tilted down so far tha ther chin is literally on her chest. I panic since I still see no movement and I can't even tell if she's breathing.
So, I call 911 and pull over to the side. Meanwhile, another young guy (and also a UCLA alum) does the same and I motion to him that I'm calling 911. He was also concerned about the woman. After a few minutes, the woman seemed to come to. Maybe she was sleeping or something. In any case, she got up and started driving like normal and I told the 911 guy that things were okay. I felt bad for keeping him on the line like that, but I just wasn't sure.
After it was all over, I looked at the other guy who also stopped out of concern and I said to him, "Good looking out" (which is a phrase I picked up from Simon some years back).
I was proud that out of all the drivers at the intersection at that time, it was 2 UCLA alums who took charge of the situation to make sure the woman was okay.
Comments:
Hmm....despite disappointing losses, the Bruins know how to clean up when it comes to giving real world help :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]