Friday, September 01, 2006

MEETING THE RE-INVENTED ME
Karena and I were watching TV when a Madonna video came on. I mentioned how the only reason she has stood the test of time is by constantly re-inventing herself, similar to the way U2 has down. That's the only way to have any lasting power in music.
After that conversation, I thought about the different ways I've had to re-invent myself over the last 10 years. Ten years ago, I was a happy-go-lucky guy who let people take advantage of me. Back then, I figured that I'd be nice to them and if they chose to walk over me, then that sin was on their head. I wasn't going to stop it. And that's what people did.
But over the last 1o years, through good and bad situations and circumstances, I've become much more cynical, much angrier, much "harder" and I'm much less likely to let people take advantage of me (although it still does happen).
The problem is that I can't decide which is better. To be honest, I really liked the guy I was 10 years ago, but now I can see that he was very naive. He didn't want to let the world get the best of him.
But it did. And now, as I look at myself in the mirror each morning, a part of me asks myself, "What have I become? Am I better now than I was then?"
What would the me from 10 years ago say if he met me today? Would he even like me? I wish I knew.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]