Friday, September 29, 2006

LOOKING OUT FOR MY PEOPLE
One thing I've blogged about before but I'll mention it again because it struck me as so interesting was the time my dad got cheated in China. He bought something from a street vendor and instead of getting his 50RMB back in change, he got 50 rubes, which is apparently equivalent to about 80 cents instead of the roughly $8 he should have gotten back as change.
After he realized it, he wasn't so much upset about the money he had lost. His face was full of disappointment at how a Chinese people would purposely cheat a fellow Chinese person. That face is a mental image I will remember the rest of my life.
And again, just this week, my dad was getting some really shoddy care from Kaiser regarding his persistent cough, sore throat, and temperature. He left multiple messages with the doctor that the over the counter medication wasn't helping him and he needed something stronger. Kaiser's response? A recorded message one day later about colon cancer. Not a cough, but colon cancer. That was a pretty bad mistake! He became very upset and left more messages.
But afterward, he had the opportunity to complain about his doctor, but decided against it because he was Chinese.
Now, I know we should treat all people like that and I try to. But I still feel I learned a valuable lesson from my dad: you gotta help out for your own peeps!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]