Monday, September 04, 2006

ANOTHER LABOR DAY FIASCO
You would think I would have learned my lesson by now. After being called upon to lead worship for three of the last 5 Labor Day weekends while most of the church is away at Summer Retreat, I should have known better.
See, the Labor Day Sunday services are special beause all the good mics, mic stands, music stands, speakers, etc all go to UCSD along with everybody else. And that leaves a sort of skeleton crew to assemble the pieces to make a decent worship service on Sunday morning. Is it right? No, but you can't blame anybody.
Anyway, 5 years ago, the congregation was so small and I was so flustered after having a horrible time with setting up the mics and the guitar pick-up that Rhonda Chin walked up there, put her hand on my shoulder, and helped me sing. And praise God for her . . . because I really needed the help.
Last year, at the last minute, the A/V crew told me I had to play guitar and sing from the pulpit because there were no more mics or mic stands for me to use. Do you know how hard it is keep a distance from the pulpit so I could strum and not hit my guitar against the pulpit, while trying to be close enough to the mics to sing? It is definitely not an ideal place to lead worship.
And this year, we had such technical difficulties and no time to get things together, as the Mandarian congregation got out late. Plus, I gave John the wrong number for the mic so the mic didn't work. Henry Chiu had to hold a mic to my face while I sweated all over his hand. Meanwhile, the feedback was so loud, I couldn't even hear myself singing! And since we couldn't find a PowerPoint person, we used overheads that Twiner so graciously agreed to do. But of course, when we got there at 10:15, there was no overhead projector, leaving us scrambing at the last minute.
I really felt terrible, but we made the best of it. I only hope and pray that God saw our hearts and our efforts, and not necessarily the final product.
Still, I think next year, we need to plan way ahead and do better.
But don't worry. I've learned my lesson: Next year, I'm going to Summer Retreat!
Comments:
Jess-man says:

Hey dude, you are such a trooper, God bless ya! But hey, that guitar sounded sweet and souful didn't it? :)

Next time, just say "NO!"

:P
 
Sorry man, I got distracted and couldn't contain myself when you had a human mic stand in front of you.

Don't be a last-minute man. Or is that one-minute... Nevermind, as Jess suggests and what I've been doing for over a year now, say, "NO!" Don't do things out of obligation; you won't enjoy it.

Good seeing you sweat though. Sucka!!
 
hey, Why don't they just cancel services at CEFC during that weekend. It really wouldn't kill anyone to just visit a different church if they don't go to summer conference.
:)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]