Saturday, August 19, 2006


COUNTRY MUSIC STATION KZLA
As crazy as it sounds, LA's only country station KZLA is gone. The station that was billed as "America's most listened to country music station" is now playing dance music and soon to feature the triumphant return of Rick Dees in the morning. They still plan to air country music at www.kzla.com, but other than that, no more country music will be playing in LA.
Since I can't stand country music (sorry Tyrone and Garth), I thought I'd be happy about that. But somehow I'm surprisingly not.
Although I've been listnening to the new Movin 93.9 to check it out (it's kind of like K-BIG with fewer commercials), I have to say that life was better when there was country music to listen to. I feel if people want to hear swangy music about sad country lives, they should be able to that. After all, this is LA and there's something for everybody here. We don't need another radio station playing dance music. And we certainly didn't need the return of Rick Dees.
So, if you want to petition to bring back KZLA's country format, I won't necessarily picket with you, but I'll support you.
Just don't tell anyone. After all, I still have a reputation to uphold!=)
Comments:
"KZLA is now playing music that appeals to Hispanic adult women, and that will hopefully attract other suburban women of different ethnicities."

- From the LA Times Front Page, August 20,2006

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-fi-radio20aug20,0,7872554.story?track=mostviewed-homepage
 
LA Times Article
 
From my mass media communication studies, my professor asked "What genre is the majority of the radio stations we have in California?" His answer was that spanish radio stations, which the number of them is at least twice of the 2nd most genre type. This is was back in 98 or 99 when he said that, so I don't know what the number is now. I don't remember what he said after that, but maybe it's because the population in California. More listeners you have, the more money radio makes from advertisments. So KZLA station may not be spanish speaking, they are still targeting part of that population.
 
I was scanning through the stations today and was surprised not to hear KZLA. I was caught off guard when they played Mariah's "Fantasy." That's when the music started bumpin' in my truck. Hell yeah!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]