Friday, March 31, 2006

DO YOU THINK THIS WORKS?
This is a forwarded email my mom sent me. I'm really curious to see if this works, but I haven't tried it yet. If you do end up trying it, please let me know if it works:

Have you locked the keys in the car?If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone at home on your cell phone and ask them to get your car keys / Remote opener. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at home press the unlock button on your keys / Remote opener while holding it near the phone on their end.
Your car will unlock!
It will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the remote for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk this way!) I hope you never have to use this trick!


Comments:
It's not completely infeasible. It really depends on whether your remote opener works on frequencies that your cell phone transmits.

But, I don't know offhand what range cell phones transmit and what frequencies are being used by car remotes.

You don't have to test it from far away -- just have Karena try it from your living room while you're in the garage with the car...

--N
 
I tried it. It didn't work, but that doesn't mean it can' be done in general. Perhaps like N said, it could be on different frequencies.
 
As always there is stuff on the web about remote keyless entry.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry.htm

Do you think you could try the reprogramming procedures on page3? That's what I'd want to know if it really works.

and alas....

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_unlock_door.htm?terms=remote+keyless+entry+cell+phone
 
Jess-man sez:

I for one think it's an urban legend. First of all, it's a forward. That always sends up red flags for me!
 
in the event you need more remotes for your car (cheaper than through dealer):

www.keylessride.com
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]