Sunday, October 30, 2005

BIG SPORTS DAY
How improbable has UCLA's football season been this year? They seem to enjoy giving their fans heart attacks on a weekly basis. They love falling behind bigger and bigger and coming back to win. Yesterday, they were behind by 21 points to Stanford with only 7 minutes left in the game before storming back to win in overtime. My brother and sister-in-law were at the game! They called to give me updates and I couldn't believe it when he told me UCLA had won. UCLA still has a few more games until the showdown with USC. Hopefully, UCLA can keep up its hot streak until then. I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Also, the Dodgers are in complete disarray this morning with no manager and no general manager, after Dodger owner Frank McCourt fired GM Paul DePodesta. This just proves that he shouldn't have been hired on in the first place. I think it was more his intoverted style and over-reliance on his computer's statistical analysis of players that did him in. Even "Moneyball" originator Billy Beane doesn't rely solely on the stats. There's no way he would have overpaid for oft-injured J.D. Drew and traded for soft-hitting Hee-Seop Choi.
This off-season, I would have figured crazy Yankees owner George Steinbrennar would have been the one to let his manager and GM go. Turns out, McCourt is the crazy one. But I think as painful as this is, this is a step in the right direction. I'm glad DePo is gone. Now, let's move on. Hire Pat Gillick and Bobby Valentine and/or Orel Hershiser and let's bring back the Dodger tradition.
Comments:
Given the turmoil, firing DePodesta seems the right thing. (What is Oakland doing these days?) But, I wonder if they could have done it earlier to keep Tracy?

Either way, I'd like to see Hershiser hired.

--Nathan
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]