Thursday, August 25, 2005

RACE RELATIONS
NOTE: Before I begin, I am merely repeating what a patient said to me. I am not trying to offend anybody or any racial group. I am only trying to share from my experiences and to get some feedback from others' and their experiences.

At the end of a treatment session, one of my new patients caught me off guard by saying some racist things. I didn't know how to respond because I was so shocked. If you feel comfortable, please share your thoughts or what you would have said in response to these words:

"You know, I was relieved to hear that I would be seeing somebody whose
last name was Chinese because I only see Asian or Jewish doctors. After all, I was a university professor for years and always noticed that the Asians and the Jews always put in the most effort or were naturally gifted. Other racial groups often blamed others or racism for their lack of effort.

I remember one time, I was going to fail a student because he didn't do any work. None! In fact, he could barely read. But I got a call from the dean asking to pass him. After I disagreed, I got a call from the coach asking for the same thing. I said no. Finally, the student's mother called and asked if he was failing because he was black. I was shocked that she would even suggest such a thing! But then again, many of them do blame racism whenever things don't go their way, even though they really should be blaming their own laziness.

I mean, just look at Africa. There's research that shows our civilization started in Africa. And during that time, what has Africa done or what has Africa developed? Nothing! Meanwhile, look at how much China, Japan, Korea, and places in Europe have developed in less time.

Anyhow, that's the main reasoning why I always try to get Asian or Jewish health care providers."


Comments:
Being caught off-guard, I believe this is what I would have said. Being that I've said similar things when I hear someone bash other people. "Well everyone's different. You never know which person will be the good doctor, or the not-so-great doctor. I think the best way to know is by word of mouth. Depending on the patient, a doctor might be good for you may not be good for someone else. For example, my grandmother wouldn't see any doctor. It's not that they're bad doctors, she was just a afraid. But until we took her to this one doctor, she didn't protest...because he was gentle and non-pushy...which works for her. Anyways, I say, word of mouth is the best way to find out."
 
That's a very interesting comment, especially because I get opposite reactions when my patients meet me. I think as a speech therapist, they assume I'll be caucasian, and are very surprised when they meet me. I've had some patients' family members tell me they wouldn't have expected me to be their therapist, or they have made silly comments about how good a command of English I have.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]