Sunday, May 15, 2005

MONTEBELLO
We rented the movie "Sideways" yesterday. Towards the end of the movie, Thomas Hayden Church's chracter gets married in an Armenian church. It turns out, that church is in the greatest city of them all -- Montebello! In fact, it is literally down the street from where I grew up.
They stand in the parking lot where you can see houses with typical Montebello architecture (pretty much the houses next to Ricky's house). And when they leave the parking lot (actually the Taylor Ranch parking lot), he turns left onto Montebello Blvd. and passes by the sign that says "Avenida de la Merced." So, not only is my city now world-famous, but so is my elementary and intermediate school.
But this is only half the story!
I was so excited that I called my parents to tell them. But when I talked to my mom, I got a very unexpected response. She gave me a lecture about the benefits of living in and raising a family in Montebello. She told me how I shouldn't make fun of the city because it is a better area than many others, has a mall, a Costco etc. She admitted there are bad areas in South Montebello, but the Northern area is a great, stable suburb to grow up. I couldn't stop laughing. I did my best to assure her that everybody knows this is a great city and we only poke fun at it for laughs. We're not really serious.
She was unconvinced.
So, the next time you want to make fun of Montebello, remember that you'll be offending my mother if you do!
Comments:
For one of my favorite moms I know, I will announce my retirement from Montebello jokes.
 
hey hey...
some people grew up in southern montebello.

go eagles (MOI)! =)

-judy
 
Satisfaction with Montebello? It's true believers like your mom who make the best part of Montebello. Just remember Montebello used to be MPK...and that's close to ALHAMBRA!

--JC
 
I thought it was cool how sideways featured many local places and wineries. Although I'm not a fan of wine, the movie is made drinking wine quite a temptation.
 
Oooh, Victor! Your momma sure told you off! She's right! Montebello rocks! Three cheers for Ghetto-land! Now, not only is my city famous, but my street (AVENIDA DE LA MERCED) is famous too! Whoo hoo! And yea! I'll be back for a visit there soon!
Take care. Love, ames
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]