Saturday, January 08, 2005

SELFISH AND SELFLESS
I know I'm not the most selfless guy in the world (in fact, I'm far from it), so who am I to talk or to judge, right?
But it truly irks me when I see blatant selfishness go on, especially at work. And I'm not talking about the big things either, I'm talking about things that some people might not even notice. But to me, it provided some insight into these people true selves.
I have a co-worker who never holds the door open for her patients. She simply open the extremely heavy door (they have to be really heavy to contain fires - hospital policy), walks through it and keeps going. Not once has she turned around to check if her patient got through the door okay or held the door open for them. These are people who are hurting and some can barely walk! And yet she just keep walking through. Arrrgh!
Meanwhile, Karena and I ran into an old patient of mine while at Kaiser. I couldn't remember her name so that made introductions rather embarassing, but that's another story. Anyway, my patient was holding an empty coffee cup she just finished drinking. While we were talking, Karena gladly took the cup and threw it away for her so she didn't have to get up and do it herself. Karena had never met this patient before, but she thought nothing of the kind gesture. It was a small act of selflessness that again told me a lot about the type of person I married (aka a generous, loving one). My patient was especially impressed, whispering to me afterward, "She's perfect! A real keeper!"
Amen.

Comments:
Aw..now that's sweet. What Karena did shows you that it's the simple acts of kindness that really counts. What an honor to have a wife like that. ; ) Go, Karena! =D -Mel.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]