Tuesday, November 09, 2004

WAY TO GO, RAYMOND!
My brother Raymond finished a triathalon this past weekend, which is pretty amazing for multiple reasons. First of all, there's the obvious: it's hard. It includes biking, running, and swimming (in the San Francisco Bay, no less -- too bad the Giants aren't playing, he could have caught a Barry Bonds home run ball). His goal was just to finish and he did.
And just for that reason alone, I'm really proud of him.
But wait, there's more.
Let's not forget that he's a Shen, and with our genes, comes some major physical problems. Between his bad knees, weak ankles, painful back, he's literally the walking wounded sometimes.
And he's still only 17 years removed from two major surgeries to remove a growth near his spine that caused him to collapse multiple times without notice. This is a guy who literally had to learn how to talk again ... twice.
And while he was doing the triathalon, I was sitting back on the couch, watching TV, and eating chips. How sad am I!
Today, Ray, I'm encouraged and inspired at your perseverance, your determination, and your heart. Thank you.
I'm taking my lazy, fat butt to the gym.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]