Monday, November 29, 2004

GRANDMA'S 90TH
Saturday night was a festive night for the Shen family because we had an opportunity to gather together to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. In all honesty, this grand birthday kind of snuck-up on me because she's in such good health and still very mentally sharp. Most times, when you think of a 90-year old, you think of words like "really old" and "senile." But that is not the case with my grandmother at all!
We had about 60 people gather to celebrate with her at Empress Pavilion. The food was good and it was great to see extended family from San Diego, the Bay Area, Seattle, etc. come just to mark the occasion. Some beautiful words were also spoken on my grandmother's behalf by my grandfather's sister, my uncle, and my brother. As for me, I managed to catch the whole thing on video. But if I were given the opportunity to speak, I would speak about her fondness for keeping me well-fed at all times (a Chinese person's best way for showing affection) and for her genuine love and concern for me from as far back as I can remember.
It was truly a time to celebrate. Afterward, I let my dad and my uncles know that they did a great job in organizing such a successful event.
My grandmother truly looked happy. And in the end, that's all that mattered.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]