Saturday, October 09, 2004

GOLD DIGGERS
The Glendale Water and Power (GWP) held an Energy Expo this morning to showcase some of their products, their equipment, some helpful energy-saving tips, and to meet some of their workers. But in order to generate buzz (and attendance), they had a promotion where if you bring in a halogen lamp, they would exchange it for a new energy-saving lamp.
The expo started at 9am. And by the time I picked up my mother-in-law's two lamps and got in line at 9:15, the line was at least 100-125 yards long. Everybody in line had two lamps in hand, ready to get their new lamps (supposedly, valued at $40, according to the GWP people).
While in line, a few of us overhead this other guy looking at the line snaking all the way around the parking lot and sarcastically said aloud, "Look at all these gold diggers, waiting in line on a Saturday morning just to get new lamps."
The guy in line directly behind me spoke up and retorted, "Hey, man. Don't look at us as 'gold diggers.' We're out here because we care about the environment and saving electricity. We're energy savers!" And with a chuckle, the sarcastic man walked away.
But in my Montebello head, I thought to myself, "Although I do enjoy saving energy, I'm here purely as a gold digger."

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]