Thursday, September 02, 2004

KOBE TRIAL DISMISSED
Here are my thoughts on the Kobe Bryant trial being dismissed:
(1) I will admit this makes the accuser look like she's only after money. I'd imagine if she was raped, she would want to prosecute him to the fullest, even if it meant letting her sexual history get out. Instead, everybody thinks there is a deal in the works and she will get paid.
(2) A part of me became upset when listening to angry callers to sports radio stations demand that they no longer call her "the victim" and start calling her by her real name or "gold digger." Sad.
(3) There is a major double standard that still exists in this world. Magic Johnson contracts HIV from his promiscuity and he is flooded with sympathy and praise. Kobe Bryant, at the very least an adulteror (when he was so forceful in stating he would never cheat on his wife), has his word is taken as gospel simply because he is a great basketball player. Nobody cares he cheated on his wife (and his baby daughter). They only care he isn't a rapist. They still cheer for him. They still love him. However, if a woman sleeps around, she's immediately branded as a "ho" or a "tramp" or worse, as is the case of the accuser. Again, sad.
(4) I was shocked to hear Kobe's statement after the trial was dismissed. He said, " Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not ... I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter. " This either shows his brutally honest, upright side, or his extremely stupid side. Because I've always liked Kobe, I'm hoping it's the former. But in reality, it's probably both.
(5) There are no winners in this.
(6) The bottom line is this: Kobe shouldn't have been in the situation in the first place. How can you sleep with another woman, then come home and look your wife and daughter in the face? But hey, I'm not perfect. Who am I to judge?

Comments:
The guestbook was tainted, so I've switched over to using the comments.
 
Personally I don't think the accuser's motive was money. I imagine that labeling yourself a rape victim puts you through a certain kind of hell that no money could ever repay, even *without* the death threats and the courts mistakenly revealing your name to the world...three times.

Kobe's apology was bartered to the girl in exchange for her dropping the charges.

-Cindy
 
testing
 
If you have to be perfect to judge, then there would be no judges. Kobe f***ed (morally, ethically, legally) and he should pay for it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]