Sunday, August 22, 2004

COMING TO AMERICA
News item: Yao Ming comes to America to play basketball for the Houston Rockets. After two spectacular seasons, he represents China in the Olympics. After getting routed by Spain 83-58, the even-tempered Yao blows up at his Chinese teammates and coach. He called his team "hopeless" and said he had "lost much of my confidence" in them. Fans are stunned at his outburst, calling him "Americanized". One said, " It is not the right behavior of a Chinese athlete, to get angry and lose your temper after the match. He's over-reacting."

Reaction: What is going on here? As I was reading this article, I immediately felt very offended that America was getting such a bad reputation for poor showmanship. I became upset that China's Communist government had produced such a "keep silent" culture in its athletes and its people. Why shouldn't Yao be allowed to saw such things to help inspire his team? Is he not human? Does he not have emotions? As long as he exhibits self-control in his comments and intends to build up the team, not break it down, then, I'm all for it.
But after taking some more time to reflect on the subject, I decided that the American culture IS to "talk back" and "speak up". Maybe Yao has become "Americanized" in the two years he's been here. But as a Chinese-American, he must dutifully walk the fine line between being himself and not disrespecting his native country or its people. And with that in mind, he should have kept his cool and toned down his anger. Don't get me wrong. I still agree with my initial feelings. But I feel that he has responsibilities as a Chinese-American that preclude him from acting out in such a way.
Yo, Yao! Welcome to life as a Chinese-American. It's full of contradictions and controversies. Get used to it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]