Tuesday, August 03, 2004

13 GOING ON 30
Tonight, we watched the Jennifer Garner movie and it was terrible. But I have to admit that she did a good job with a teeny-bopper, bubble gum script and theme. It was cheesy (even for me), but it made me think.
I always struggled with issues of inadequacy during my teenage years (especially in high school). And I just figured that by the time I'm in my late-20s to early 30s, these feelings will give way to strength and self-confidence. After all, shouldn't that be the normal progression towards maturity?
But instead, I still find myself struggling at times with those same issues. Things that make me uncomfortable are taking a real firm hard stand on something, leading a group of people, even doing home repair-type housework. I have such a fear of failure or doing something wrong. It still kills me.
In the movie, she makes her wrongs right again by relying on the qualities, values, and attributes she was taught as a child. Maybe I need to do something similar. I just need to remember all those cheesy things I was taught to tell myself growing up: I will mess up, but that doesn't mean I'm a failure. And if I don't succeed, try, try again.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]