Thursday, July 29, 2004

COMMUNITY
I think the best church retreat I ever went to was th Emmanuel one of my senior year.  We had it at Tahquitz Pines, Idyllwild.  What was so great about it?  One big part was that I was involved in the publicity by helping Jason, Enoch, and Reuel make the video (which was hilarous, by the way). 
One of my most cherished memories of that retreat was driving a new Christian named Dennis Loh. He was new to church. This was to be his first Emmanuel retreat.  Little did I know, it was also to be his last, as he was killed in a car accident soon afterward.  He was amazingly in love with Jesus and inspired others (including his non-Christian family) to strive for something more in this life.  His life (and death) is something I will never forget.  Anyway, whie driving him up to the retreat, he mentioned to me he loved the song "Meet Us Here."  So, on the last night, Danette was having a "request" time for worship songs and I requested "Meet Us Here."  Dennis just turned around as if to say thanks, but I just looked at him, smiled, and pointed at him.  That was a moment in time I will remember the rest of my life.
One of the central themes of that retreat was the idea of community.  We were trying to build exactly that and took this passage to heart: Acts 2:42-47.  In it, they talk about how the fellowship of believers was so strong that they each know their roles based on their spiritual gifts and gave and shared freely with each other.  What a great way to live!
After that, my entire attitude about my church family changed forever.  Since then, my attitude has been to have  good time with them, encourage them, mourn with them when they mourn, rejoice with them when they rejoice.  I like to treat them like family.  It's okay to be honest with them.  It's okay to love them and let them know.  It's okay to be vulnerable with them.  And it's okay to give freely to them.  That's why I love talking to them, spending time with them, putting my hand on their shoulder or shaking their hand when I say hello.  And that's why I'm not afraid to ask a serious question in the middle of a lunch where everybody's goofing off. 
It's just me being me ... and I hope they can just be them.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]