Thursday, April 15, 2004

NOT IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION
One thing you sometimes have to concern yourself with as a Physical Therapist is when patients are lying or stretching the truth. Or, sometimes patients let their emotions dictate how they feel physically. That's when it becomes my job to decipher between the mess and try to bring about the quickest resolution. When you know (or you think you know) where the pain's origin, you're more effective in treating it.
But lately, I've been feeling more and more like people's pain is almost fake. They seem to be playing it up. And I used to get sucked into it, trying to play the "good guy." But today, I just couldn't take it anymore and I discharged this patient, mostly because I thought she was faking and playing it up. She had no physical signs of swelling, no joint stiffness, no muscle guarding or tightness. So, I let her go.
Now, I just feel ruthless about the whole thing.

On a much lighter note, congratulations to Gary and Regina, who will be pronounced husband and wife this weekend!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]