Saturday, July 19, 2003

THE SCARLET LETTER
As much as I was trying NOT to comment on this again, I almost feel like I HAVE to since Kobe Bryant being charged of sexual assault is the talk of the town.
I'm hurt over the whole thing because the image and legacy of Kobe Bryant has been permanently altered. Sure, he'll still be able to excite crowds with his explosive drives to the basket, his amazing dunks, and his solid shooting. But this has NOTHING to do with basketball or this upcoming "Dream Team" season. But one thing I do know is I won't ever think of him as the same guy ever again.
Yes, I know I put him on a pedestal and now I got burned. It's my own fault. But I only held him to a higher standard because he always made sure he exuded exemplary character. He didn't party with the guys, he got married at an early age. Kobe was not your typical superstar athlete.
But I guess he is. Whether he's innocent or not of the charge, my view of him has changed. His clean-cut reputation is gone.
Is this unfair of me to feel this way over adultery? Maybe, because like he said, he is just a man like everybody else. And I know I am nowhere near perfect either. But, I guess I expected better from him.
Do I forgive him? Of course I do. But it still hurts me to know he made such a foolish decision.
He has handled the situation very well and I am VERY proud of that.
But this is the end of the innocence.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]