Sunday, February 16, 2003

THE END OF MY CHILDHOOD
A small part of me looks at April 26, 2003 as a day in which I will close the books on my extended childhood and begin a totally new chapter in my life. But seeing something else made me realize that that part of my life has already ended.
I was driving around Rosemead to get back onto the 10 freeway (why else would anybody be driving around Rosemead, anyway? No offense, Luong Baby), when I froze up. I couldn't believe. The Toys 'R Us store that I loved as a kid has closed down. The big Geoffrey Giraffe that overlooked the freeway was gone. Only a sad silhouette of his former self was left. The doors were bolted shut. There was no life there, it was just an empty abandoned building.
How could this be? That place was like heaven to me as a kid. I longed to go there any chance I got. My favorite times were during early December because my uncle would also drive me, Raymond, and Sandra there so we could pick out our favorite toys to be our Christmas gifts. To me, that was childhood.
I guess I'm not so naive and innocent anymore.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]