Sunday, December 01, 2002

8 MILE
I would be remiss if I didn't post a follow-up blog to all the Eminem/"8 Mile" comments on my guestbook. Yes, I did end up going to see the movie last night. But, I rationalized it with myself by using two free movie passes for Karena and me to see it so technically, we didn't give Eminem any money. But you know how that is.
Anyway, I was pretty disappointed in the movie because I thought it dragged in a lot of places. I saw a lot of comparisons to Prince's "Purple Rain." And even though I didn't like that movie either, I thought Prince's story lines were better than those in "8 Mile." The best parts of "8 Mile" were when the rap battles were going on.
But anyway, back to what I really wanted to talk about. I tend to be a guy who roots for people who are trying to "get it together." For example, Snoop Dogg and 2Pac are two rappers who never would be considered for a humanitarian award. But I stand behind them, to a certain extent, because I feel like they have made great strides to better themselves (Snoop gave up smoking marijuana and now coaches a kids' football team; 2Pac was in the midst of making some major changes for the better in his life before his "thug life" mentality got the best of him). Now, I wouldn't say Snoop and 2Pac are positive role models by any means, but I support them for trying to change their lives for the better because they realized their old lifestyles held no merit.
Is Eminem there yet? I don't think so. But you can't help but be surprised and do a double-take during the scene in the movie when he gently sings a lullaby to his sister so she can sleep. I'd imagine that's not all that different from the way he treats his real-life daughterm, Hallie. I'm hoping that Eminem gets his act together and starts to tone down his anger. He's got millions of teenage fans following his every move and listening to every lyric he writes. Right now, that's pretty dangerous. But if he could turn a new leaf, that could be very powerful.
Okay, that's what I had to say. Feel free to start up the ol' guestbook discussions again! =)
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]