Thursday, November 07, 2002

MY THOUGHTS ON EMINEM AND "8 MILE"
Since the movie's world premiere was held in Westwood last night, Eminem was the talk of the town yesterday. During the day, I had the occasion to talk about Eminem and his movie with some nurses of various ages and nationalities. Here is an official excerpt of it:

Nurse: I don't know why or how people could listen to his music. That guys is repulsive! Do you listen to his music?
Me: Yeah, I do. But I have to agree with all the bad things you're saying about him.
Nurse: So, if you think he's so bad, why listen to him? He says things that offend blacks, whites, gays, women including his wife and mother.
Me: Yeah, I know. But his music is very artistic and gets you to feel strong emotions. But for me, I don't take those emotions and act on them. I just admire the way he gets me to react so strongly to his rapping, but it doesn't mean I go out and beat on my fiancee or diss people. But I know his music does cause some people to do that and I definitely don't condone that. That's why his music isn't and shouldn't be for everyone. If I couldn't control my emotions, I wouldn't listen to his music.
Nurse: Oh, that's just a bunch of bull! Who cares how "artistic" it is or how you can "control your emotions."
Me: Like I said, I agree with you and support anyone who is against listening to Eminem.
Nurse: So, are you going to go see his movie "8 Mile?"
Me: Probably.

I think the nurse left the conversation very unsatisfied. And that got me thinking as I drove past the premiere, with literally thousands of people waiting by the theater awaiting Eminem,
Am I wrong?
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]